What we offer
Otago Accommodation Trust (OAT) provide supportive tenancies for people living with mental health challenges. This means we provide accommodation along with support for you to maintain your tenancy.
Accommodation is provided in single, un-furnished or semi-furnished self-contained units in close proximity to Mental Health Services, local shops and public transport.
We have accommodation in Dunedin at:
- Heriot Row
- George Street
- Duke Street
- Smith Street
- York Place
- Macandrew Road
OAT has 40 Units in total. If one is not available when you apply you can be placed on a waiting list. The location of available Units is dependent upon the needs of our Tenants.
Market rent is payable by the tenant.
Eligibility for a Tenancy
To be eligible for a Tenancy you must be:
- Assessed as being likely to benefit from the service OAT offer by an official Health Needs Assessor. You can follow the links below or get in touch with us and we will help you get in touch with them.
- Have a Recovery Plan in place
- Be receiving support from a mental health support provider
- Be willing to sign a Tenancy Agreement and avoid violence, illicit drug use and disturbing neighbours
The Mental Health Needs Assessors in Dunedin are:
Notes about the Service
- Lawn and established shrubbery will be the responsibility of OAT and will be maintained at no cost to the Tenant.
- OAT is responsible for payment of rates and insurance of the buildings.
- Personal contents are at Tenant’s own risk. OAT encourage Tenants to insure their belongings.
- OAT may be able to provide emergency assistance including transport, referral to other helping agencies during an emergency period but OAT cannot be case managers or enter into any counselling.
- OAT can liaise with your case manager, needs assessor or other agency that you may have in place if that would be helpful to you.
- Where OAT is sub-letting another organisation’s property the property owner may require some non-clinical information.